Roughly 2-in-3 registered voters believe that President Joe Biden is “encouraging” illegal immigration to the US. John Binder of Breitbart News cited “a series of executive orders, memos, and decisions that are resulting in the mass release of border crossers into the nation’s interior.”
A recent Harvard/Harris poll highlighted that 65% of registered voters believe that the Biden administration’s policies are encouraging illegal immigration. On the other hand, only 35% indicated that Biden is discouraging illegal immigration.
68% of Hispanic voters, 65% of white voters, and 58% of black voters believe that Biden’s policies are contributing to the rise in illegal border crossings.
There’s a bipartisan consensus emerging among voters that Biden’s policies are leading to this new surge at the border. 62% of Democrats, 70% of Republicans, and 64% of swing voters believe that the Biden administration is encouraging a border rush.
Binder listed off some of the open border policies that Biden has pursued right from the start:
Immediately after taking office, Biden halted all border wall construction, implemented a series of “sanctuary country” orders to prevent most illegal aliens from being arrested and deported, and restarted the Catch and Release process by ending the “Remain in Mexico” program.
When voters were asked “Do you think that people who cross the border with Mexico illegally should be turned back to Mexico or released into the US with a court date?”, roughly 70% of voters voiced their support for border crossers to be sent back to Mexico. Only 32% of voters supported border crossers being released into the U.S. interior.
54% of Hispanic voters, 76% of white voters, 53% of Democrats, 84% of Republicans, and 68% of swing voters are against Biden’s Catch and Release policy.
Binder provided some context to the rise in border crossings over the past year:
The latest illegal immigration data available shows that for the month of April, federal immigration officials encountered more than 178,000 border crossers — a nearly 945 percent increase in illegal immigration at the border compared to the same time last year.
It’s almost like beating a dead horse these days, but it should be clear to anyone with so much as a clue about American politics that the Biden administration does not care about border security.
Securing the border is a basic aspect of statecraft, a key to sovereignty, and if the US cannot muster up the political will to do so, the days of the Republic are necessarily numbered.